Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sorry About The Mini Sermon

Ok, so it seems that God is overwhelmingly dealing with me on some issues that I may need to address within myself. Not sure about others but this seems to happen on a regular basis and if it doesn't I begin to ask myself if my pursuit is even advancing. Anyway, it seems that I often try to put God into some kind of form. For example, something is done and the presence of God shows up and the tendency is to think, well God showed up last time we did a, b and c so that must be the formula to His presence. I would just like to say that I believe that when we put God into a form we are totally missing out on the very thing that God wants to accomplish, that being freedom. Most of us, if we were really honest with ourselves, would recognize that we have done this in some way. Through a worship service, a message, or a word. The problem with putting God into a form is that we begin to rely on the form instead of God. Basically it's a form of idolatry that begins to take root in our lives and we go living our walk from one form to the next. Then when we get around to realizing that God is not there we search the Christian realm to find where God is at next. I'll frankly say that usually by the time we find it, God has already left that thing, because it was made another form and we are getting and experiencing only remnants of His presence, which we associate with His actual presence. Make sense? If not I understand because I tend to get long winded and I don't feel like retyping. Let me just say this. One of the greatest acts of spiritual warfare is to wait on God. The enemy would so rather have us trying to keep busy on finding the next form, or giving our lives to a form than to actually wait on God and move as He moves, not moving where He's been. Waiting can be just as powerful as just being. Being who you are instead of dressing yourself up like your brother to receive a blessing. There is no fooling God, so those who are afraid to be themselves aren't looking for Gods blessing they're looking for mans. But hey we all go through this stuff right. It's all part of "the journey". So why is it that no one wants to hear it until it comes from a valid and comfortable source. I guess that goes into another subject which would be an issue of rank. This blog is already to long so I will tackle that another day. Point you ask? If you do have a form or formula in which you think God responds, chances are, your relying on the form more than you are on the Holy Spirit to lead us into the presence of the Father. God wants nothing more than for us to finally surrender all of the bull and simplify our walk with Him. We just gotta be willing to let it go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're all guilty of this in some fashion. "God wants out of the box" right? Me too. I want out of the box. Learning to think differently is paramount. Difficult, because we are comfortably with the familiar, but to be out of the box - to not limit God's move by our own shortsightedness... yeah.

(The preceding was an example of a poorly constructed sentence. Sorry about that. )

abc said...

I agree. Amen. I think we try to squish everything into a form because somehow we perceive it as "safe". And we humans are all about feeling safe and secure. I think it is part of the war between our flesh and our spirit. To really worship "formless" is a frightening thing, because it requires spiritual violence, a thing that I believe we are all a bit wary of. Because it is scary not to have limits. And we were all raised by our parents to respect and follow limits. Spiritual violence means letting go of all of our securities. If we could only do that freely, I believe we would see the true beauty of the Lord. As for myself, this is something I am reaching for. Unfortunately, I am not there yet.

Anonymous said...

ok eric, ma gets it now, thanks for the explaination!
i love you as big as the heavens!