Sunday, June 12, 2005

What A Struggle..Uh.... Worship Was...........Nice

Worship can be an exhilarating experience., filled with all kinds of emotions ranging from joy to sorrow. I think it is a common misconception by the church that it is the worship leaders job to "make" the people worship. It is a misconception that if worship wasn't spirit filled or on fire than the worship leader didn't lead. As a worship leader I have come to the knowledge of, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Nor can you provide someone with the kind of faith it takes to engage in worship. Another thing I have noticed is that the presence of the Lord is always there. Why He decides to allow us to feel Him sometimes and not to feel Him is a mystery. All this to say that leading worship today was a struggle, and most of the time it reflects me. I felt I was engaged sometimes but for the most part was concerned for the lack enthusiasm from the congregation.

My thought and advise for people who go to church and expect to be entertained. Sorry, that's not how I lead. I expect that you come ready to worship. Especially if it's the only time you do. Let's get real folks, my job is to not lead you into worship, it is to provide you with a atmosphere to express your joy and sorrows to the Father all while maintaining a reverent heart before the Lord because of His greatness and majesty. So you see, the worship part is up to you. Kill the facade when you come to worship, if not, I can't lead you. Only a willing heart can be truly lead. And in being translucent, there are sometimes that the whole worship team is not in unity which causes struggle amongst the whole group and congregation. It is so important for the team to be in unity.

"Have a couple of dry meetings and see who sticks around. Then you'll know who's there for the music or to worship" - Don Potter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent expression of truth to those who do not completly understand the process of worship. We all need to personally potion ourselves before thr Throne not expect someone else to put us there.

Anonymous said...

sorry about my typing my brain moves faster than my fingers most of the time.